First off, take time to plan your itinerary:
Los Angeles is a sprawling city with numerous attractions. Plan your itinerary in advance to make the most of your visit to this large and unique area. Consider the must-see places like Hollywood, Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Malibu, Beaches, Mountain Hikes, and the stunning Getty Center and Observatory.
- Rent a car if you really want to explore and experience LA in style, or use rideshare services: Having a car or utilizing rideshare services like Uber or Lyft will make it easier to navigate around Los Angeles, as public transportation can be limited. However, be prepared for traffic congestion, especially during peak hours. If it is a tour of the western US you are after, renting a car and traveling up the PCH is a great idea.
- Check the weather: Los Angeles has a Mediterranean climate with mild winters and warm summers. However, weather can vary throughout the year. Check the forecast and dress accordingly to ensure your comfort during outdoor activities. Often there are clouds and marine layer fog in the LA area for parts of the spring. It is called June gloom by some people, so if full-on sunshine is what you want, avoid the June gloom if its expected to happen.
- Explore diverse neighborhoods: Los Angeles is known for its diverse neighborhoods, each offering a unique atmosphere and culture. Explore areas like Venice Beach, Downtown LA, Koreatown, and Little Tokyo to experience the city’s vibrant diversity.
- Visit the beaches: Los Angeles is home to beautiful beaches. Head to popular spots like Santa Monica Beach, Venice Beach, or Zuma Beach to relax, enjoy the sun, and take a stroll along the iconic boardwalks.
- Be prepared for the distances: Los Angeles is geographically spread out, and attractions can be far apart. Be prepared for longer travel times between destinations and plan accordingly to avoid rushing or missing out on experiences.
- Try diverse cuisine: Los Angeles is a culinary hotspot with a diverse food scene. Don’t miss the chance to try different cuisines, from Mexican street food to gourmet fusion dishes. Explore food trucks, local eateries, and upscale restaurants to savor the city’s culinary delights.
- Be mindful of parking: Parking can be a challenge in certain areas of Los Angeles, especially in popular tourist spots. Research parking options in advance, utilize parking apps, or consider using public transportation to avoid parking-related stress.
- Stay hydrated: Los Angeles can get quite hot, particularly during the summer months. Stay hydrated by carrying a water bottle with you and drinking plenty of fluids throughout the day.
- Enjoy the cultural attractions: Los Angeles boasts a rich cultural scene with diverse influences. Visit renowned museums like the Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA), the Natural History Museum, or the Griffith Observatory to immerse yourself in art, history, and science. Or enjoy the streets and shops that represent the current culture of the melting pot of Los Angeles.